Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Tasty Frozen Vegetables? It's Possible!

Days Until My 50th Birthday: 121
Weight lost since January 1st: Don't ask. I'm not speaking to my #*%*  scale right now.
GOAL: To lose 20 pounds by my 50th birthday - May 20th.

Today I was looking around in my freezer for something to eat and came across vegetables. How did they get in there? Perhaps they were too close to the Ben & Jerry's and I picked them up by accident.


Green Giant's Immunity Blend showed cauliflower and carrots tantilizingly tossed in a "flavorful butter sauce." I must have been blind and drunk when I went shopping! After searching desperately through the freezer for something more tasty - months old birthday cake, frozen eggnog from the holidays, a brownie from the turn of the century - anything but vegetables - I gave in and decided to give them a try. Cauliflower and carrots are two of the healthiest vegetables you can eat, hence my  natural aversion. Here's the twist - these have dried cranberries and butter sauce. Suddenly I'm interested! I popped the pouch in the microwave for four minutes and considered how to make these more tasty. Maybe I'll just suck the butter from the cranberries. That sounds pretty good! But because I'm so adventerous, I decided to give them a taste test. The blend of butter and cranberries gave the vegetables a savory taste that I love. Yummy! Even if your a veggie-phobic like me, these are worth a try.

Green Giant claims there are 2 servings and that might be true if you live in the Land of Liliputtins, but I ate the entire container. Total calories if you eat the whole thing: 140, Fat: 5 grams (thanks to the butter), Fiber: 4 grams, Sugar: 7 grams. They are called an "immunity blend" because each serving contains 20 percent of Vitamins A and C, which are known to support a healthy immune system. A tasty snack to keep in your freezer at home or work.

Do you have recipes for healthy foods that taste good? Or have you found other ready-to-eat foods that taste good and don't pack on the pounds? Please share! I need your help.

Next Blog: The Truth about the "Big O" - Organics!

STRATEGY: Enjoy everything you eat. This isn't about being deprived of what you like, but making what you like work for you to keep you healthy and vital.

AFFIRMATION: I enjoy eating foods that support my health and vitality.

StumbleUpon.com

3 comments:

  1. Diane, your blog is delightful! I love your humor -- very light-hearted and loving. Can I tell you about how I reached my goal weight have have kept it off for four years?? And I'm 15 years older than you are, and didn't have to spend my life in the gym OR stop eating my fav foods! I'd love to talk, and I'm in Morrison. We could meet over tea(/coffee)at your convenience! I'd love to be friends! Karyn P.S. I would love to tap into your marketing brain!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even veggies sound good when all you can have is clear liquids. Perhaps that is the secret...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came here from "The Babe"'s blog and would LOVE to read you on a regular basis. She's right - you are funny! :)

    Unfortunately, it's way easier for me to read through my Google Reader - where you only have a small paragraph of your blog (promoting a click through for ads, I assume). If I have to click through, it's more obvious to my boss that I'm not doing work. And...well... I like to hide that a bit.

    So basically, I hope you'll reconsider and have your full posts through readers. I'd be a happy subscriber and would love to pass on your wit to my readers.

    ReplyDelete