Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Oh, no! The Law of Attraction Gave me What I Asked For

Weight Lost since Jan. 1st: .05
Days until my 50th Birthday: 134

One moment I was contently sitting on my sofa wondering what was in my cupboard that could be deep fried (the Twinkies maybe?) and the next thing I know I'm part of a "wellness group" committed to eating healthy foods and exercising for the next five weeks. This is the Law of Attraction in action, my friends; watch out!

Prof. Wonderful and I attended a Wellness Event on Monday night that said it was offering an "effective, inspirational approach to enhanced physical well being." Brilliant marketing because somehow I didn't tumble to the fact that that translated into "diet" and "exercise." I thought we'd hear a motivational speaker, get pumped up to do better and I'd be home in time to finish my fried ice cream.

First we were handed a workbook. Prof. Wonderful squealed in delight. Books, magazines and any form of the written word that takes up huge amounts of space and I can trip over thrills him. I was confused. Why would I need a workbook? How naive I was.

Right from the start I began hearing those key words that mean I'm going to be very unpleasant to be around for the next five weeks: no fast foods, no baked goods, no refined sugars. I think there was more but I started to grow faint as I saw my life as a foodie flashing before my eyes - garlic knots at Anthony's, pasta at Maggiano's, ice cream at Maggie Moo's, the memories flooded in.

Then, they started talking exercise, the need to move our body, being grateful we can move our body. I have to admit, the speaker's enthusiasm was sucking me in. We all know exercise is good for us, but he said the magic words to this group that largely consisted of Baby Boomers: exercise can help you LOOK YOUNGER! By the time he was finished talking we didn't even need our cars to get us home that evening. We were ready to run out of that building and keep running until the bags under our eyes fell off. Turns out eating the right foods combined with body movement helps plump the skin and give it a more youthful appearance. I'm on board with that as I say goodbye to my 40s!

The workbook is filled with sample menus, recipes and, I've got to admit it, inspiration. On New Year's Day I set an intent for 2010, my 50th year on this planet. I told the Universe I am creating a strong, healthy body filled with vitality. By setting that intent, I was setting the Law of Attraction into motion. I did not go into the details of how this would be done - that's up to the Universe. The wonderful thing is the Law of Attraction always works, in ways expected and unexpected. I had no idea what I was getting myself into that evening. I walked out with a healthy new eating plan that, now that I've recovered from my shock, I find is absolutely do-able. And Prof. Wonderful bought both of us an exercise DVD that starts out with only 10 minutes of exercise in the morning. Just 10 minutes that will set the tone for my day, help me think clearer and increase my metabolism. Luckily enough, I happen to have an extra 10 minutes a day since I'm not spending that time trying to fry macaroni and cheese (yes, it's possible!).

Best of all, Prof. Wonderful, who already has a clean, healthy diet, is completely on board with me and 100 percent supportive and enthusiastic. Which is what makes him, well, wonderful.

STRATEGY #8: Set a clear intent of what you want to create this year.

AFFIRMATION #8: All that I need comes to me with ease and grace.

StumbleUpon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment